UPDATE: The position has been filled.
The Abolitionist Law Center (www.abolitionistlawcenter.org), a non-profit organization dedicated to the abolition of mass incarceration, prisons, and the system that creates them, is hiring a full-time attorney to work on our Solitary Confinement Docket.
ALC has successfully litigated the release of Russell Maroon Shoatz and Arthur Cetewayo Johnson from 22 and 36 years of solitary confinement. We have another case challenging the solitary confinement of Brandon Palakovic that led to his suicide, in front of the Third Circuit right now. We are actively preparing additional cases and will be expanding our efforts to restrict and ultimately abolish this form of state torture.
Read about our Solitary Confinement Docket here.
Applicants should be ready to aggressively challenge this system, vigorously defend the rights and lives of the children, women, and men subjected to the worst violence of the prison system, and provide the highest quality of legal representation and passionate advocacy. We want fighters who are not afraid of the government and are prepared to rumble all day everyday.
The job is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Abolitionist Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with prior criminal convictions are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: We will accept applications on a rolling basis, until the position has been filled.
– Licensed attorney
– Commitment to the mission and principles of the Abolitionist Law Center
– Willingness to live in Pittsburgh
– Strong recommendations
– Experience in litigating jail or prison conditions cases
– 2 years or more of litigation experience
– Activist or organizing experience
– Familiarity with the concept of movement lawyering and how attorneys can serve and further the interests of peoples’ movements for liberation
Applicants should submit:
• Cover letter explaining why you want to work with the Abolitionist Law Center and why you are qualified (no more than two (2) pages)
• 3 professional references
Send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org