NOTE : The Racial Justice Organizer (PHL) position posted on November 18, 2020 has been filled. The Paralegal Position (PGH) posted on January 6, 2021 has been filled.
Join ALC’s team of movement lawyers and abolitionist community organizers! To learn more about our staff and board members, click here.
The following employment opportunities are listed below:
• Staff Attorney (Philadelphia, Full-time $65k)
PHILADELPHIA STAFF ATTORNEY (Posted 01/05/2021)
Reports to: Legal Director
Job Type: Full time, $65,000 salaried position, some evening and weekend hours required
Benefits: Health insurance benefit of up to $400/month, 35 days (280hrs) of paid time off annually
Application Deadline: Rolling basis
Start Date: Position open until filled; tentative start date of March 1, 2021
PHILADELPHIA STAFF ATTORNEY • Position Overview
The Abolitionist Law Center is hiring a staff attorney for our Philadelphia office. As the movement to end racist state violence and abolish police and prisons has grown, so has our work and staff. We are seeking an abolitionist lawyer to assist in litigating against police violence, frame-up convictions, death by incarceration sentences, and inhumane and illegal jail and prison conditions. The Staff Attorney will work with incarcerated clients and their communities and advocates to challenge state violence in all its forms and contribute to building powerful movements for liberation.
- Litigate in state and federal courts.
- Working with ALC attorneys and co-counsel and organizers to manage a significant caseload, including class action litigation, civil rights cases against police and carceral facilities, and criminal appeals.
- Frequent visits with clients and potential clients who are incarcerated.
- Lead investigations into conditions of confinement in Philadelphia jails, including policies and practices regarding medical and mental health care, solitary confinement, use of force, and disability justice.
- Support litigation, public education, and organizing efforts against the racist system of policing in Philadelphia.
- Develop and draft reports, position papers, memoranda, and other strategic communications on human and constitutional rights issues related to investigations and litigation ALC is involved in.
- Attending weekly staff meetings, providing feedback to leadership and staff to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Assist in soliciting donations for ALC during regular fundraising campaigns.
- Commitment to an abolitionist politics and movement-lawyering approach to our work that seeks to replace punitive justice with healing justice, promotes decarceration and the elimination of the use of jails/prisons to deal with social problems, and centers the political agency and organizing activity of those individuals and communities most impacted by the criminal legal system.
- J.D. and active bar membership.
- 3 years litigation experience.
- Proficient writing ability, capable of clarity, efficiency, and analytical precision.
- Excellent legal research skills.
Salary and Benefits
This Staff Attorney position will be based in ALC’s Philadelphia office. This position will be based in ALC’s Philadelphia office. This is a full-time, salaried position. The salary for this position is $65,000 annually, with a health insurance benefit of up to $4,800 and 35 days (280hrs) of paid time off annually.
Reports to: Legal Director
Please send your resume, three professional references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. This position is open until filled. Abolitionist Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQI-GNC people, and formerly incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.