TribLive, 02/27/23: “Experts retained as part of a federal lawsuit over the treatment of mentally ill people being held at Allegheny County Jail said the facility’s mental health care is ‘shockingly substandard.’
The expert reports filed this month in federal court blamed the problems on issues including:
- A shortage in medical staffing.
- A lack of training for both medical and correctional staff.
- A lack of privacy for discussions involving mental health concerns.
- Punishment for inmates seeking mental health treatment.
- Continued overuse of solitary confinement, which had been banned through a countywide referendum in 2021.”